[cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

[cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Adam Hevenor
Hi All -

In our continued effort for a clean the Loggregator code base we are moving another repo outside of Loggregator. The bosh-hm-forwarder can now be found at the following locations.

New repo: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-hm-forwarder
Bosh Release: http://bosh.io/releases/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-hm-forwarder-release?all=1

If you happen to reference the bosh-hm-forwarder in the loggregator repo you have until March 1st to update your references. I'll bump this thread again on March 1st when we delete this from our repo.

Thanks
Adam

Re: [cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Benjamin Gandon-2
Hi Adam,

I understand that this BOSH Health Monitor Forwarder (that was donated to OSS in July 2016) is now deprecated. I also saw that PCF has moved away from it in v2.0.

So I guess this bosh-hm-forwarder is replaced by something else.
Could you give us more insights (or pointers) about why this component is now deprecated, what is replacing it, and whether it is OSS?

Thanks for your answers.

Best,

/Benjamin GANDON
CEO Gstack.io (follow us on @_Gstack)

Le 2 févr. 2017 à 00:40, Adam Hevenor <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi All -

In our continued effort for a clean the Loggregator code base we are moving another repo outside of Loggregator. The bosh-hm-forwarder can now be found at the following locations.

New repo: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-hm-forwarder
Bosh Release: http://bosh.io/releases/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-hm-forwarder-release?all=1

If you happen to reference the bosh-hm-forwarder in the loggregator repo you have until March 1st to update your references. I'll bump this thread again on March 1st when we delete this from our repo.

Thanks
Adam

View/Reply Online (#8024) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Adam Hevenor
Hi Benjamin -

The bosh-hm-fowrarder is still available outside of the Loggregator repo, just not supported by the Loggregator team any longer. The supported replacement called bosh-system-metrics forwarder has gone through OSS approval and should be available very soon as well.

Adam

View/Reply Online (#8031) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Mike Youngstrom
Hi Adam,

Is it possible to tell bosh-system-metrics to only forward metrics from certain deployments to loggregator?  We deploy multiple CFs on a single bosh and would like to only forward metrics related to a given CF onto that CF's loggregator stream.

Thanks,
Mike

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:50 AM, Adam Hevenor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Benjamin -

The bosh-hm-fowrarder is still available outside of the Loggregator repo, just not supported by the Loggregator team any longer. The supported replacement called bosh-system-metrics forwarder has gone through OSS approval and should be available very soon as well.

Adam

View/Reply Online (#8032) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Adam Hevenor
Mike -

I am not sure, but probably. I'll ping some folks that would know and have them chime in.

Adam

View/Reply Online (#8035) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Group Home | [hidden email] | Terms | Unsubscribe

Re: [cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Joseph Rodriguez
Bosh system metrics can not filter based on deployment (or any other criteria).

We haven't heard about this use case yet but it does sound interesting. If filtering were an option, would you have one deployment of CF with no filter enabled to receive metrics from deployments for non-cf releases (e.g. postgres, redis, et cetera)?

In terms of security, there are no deployment-level permissions on the forwarder client: any consumer that successfully connects to the bosh-system-metrics-server has access to the entire stream. Filtering could occur on either end (director or forwarder), but either way, all metrics will be accessible to any deployment.

It would be relatively straight-forward to fork and add a deployment filter option to the code (1).

1. This is where the bosh-system-metrics-forwarder receives metrics from the bosh-system-metrics-server: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-system-metrics-forwarder-release/blob/master/src/github.com/pivotal-cf/bosh-system-metrics-forwarder/pkg/ingress/ingress.go#L182

View/Reply Online (#8041) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Group Home | [hidden email] | Terms | Unsubscribe

Re: [cf-dev] Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Mike Youngstrom
Thanks Joseph,

Perhaps just sending everything would be fine as long as the deployment were added as a tag to the metric or something.  I'll keep thinking about it, look at the code now that it is available, and create an issue in the release repository if I want to discuss it further before putting together any kind of PR or anything.

Thanks,
Mike

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 1:42 PM, Joseph Rodriguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

View/Reply Online (#8042) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Group Home | [hidden email] | Terms | Unsubscribe

_._,_._,_