[cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Julz Friedman
Hi cloud foundries,

We’re happy to announce the Eirini team has hit our internal “1.0” milestone and shipped a release marked as 1.0 [0]!.

This means we believe the core Eirini component is stable and ready to use (although there are some optional features - such as the new v3 API, tasks and container-to-container networking support - that are only available in the Diego backend, for now).

This work would not have been possible without contributions from across the Cloud Foundry community, but especially from IBM, Pivotal, SAP, SUSE and Google.

# What is Eirini?

Eirini brings the simplicity of `cf push` to Kubernetes. Kubernetes has quickly become the de-facto standard container scheduler across the cloud community, and now - via Eirini - Cloud Foundry users can take advantage of this powerful technology to put their containers on servers. Even better (in my opinion anyway), Kubernetes users can now try out the Cloud Foundry developer experience in a native, easy and interoperable way -- which means: less YML, more code.

# How can I try Eirini / Cloud Foundry on Kubernetes?

Eirini-based Cloud Foundry is already available commercially as a technology preview from IBM Cloud, SUSE and Pivotal. You can also deploy your own Eirini from the open-source bits by following the instructions in the eirini-release repository [1] (these are still a little harder than we'd like them to be, but there's lots of work going on in the wider eiriniverse to make them better!) - and let us know how you get on (see next paragraph!).

# Talking to us:

We’re available in Cloud Foundry slack in the #eirini-dev and #cf-for-k8s channels, and there’s a cross-community meeting [2] discussing CF on Kubernetes and the broader “Eiriniverse” every second Tuesday which you can find in the CF Community Calendar [3] - everyone is very very welcome to join and help steer the direction of the projects.

Thanks y’all-

The Eirini Team,

[0]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/eirini-release/releases/tag/v1.0.0

[1]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/eirini-release

[2]: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/r/month/2019/11/12?eid=N283OHQzM2JrZXIwN2pmNDlvMjc2a25mYTZfMjAxOTExMTJUMTgzMDAwWiBjbG91ZGZvdW5kcnkub3JnX29lZGIwaWxvdGc1dWRzcGRsdjMyYTV2Yzc4QGc

[3]: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/community-calendar/

View/Reply Online (#8770) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Krannich, Bernd

Hi Eirini team,

Great news – congratulations and thank you very much to all the individuals and companies contributing!

Cheers,

Bernd

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Julz Friedman <[hidden email]>
Reply to: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <[hidden email]>
Subject: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

[...]

View/Reply Online (#8771) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Julz Friedman <[hidden email]>
Reply to: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <[hidden email]>

--

Ian Huston

Director of Engineering
Pivotal Dublin

Mobile: +353 87 114 9962
Office: +353 1 697 1244

View/Reply Online (#8776) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Simon D Moser
Big shoutout to the awesome Eirini team and contributing companies. Y'all rock!

From:        "Krannich, Bernd" <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:        12/11/2019 12:58
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!
Sent by:        [hidden email]

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Julz Friedman <[hidden email]>
Reply to:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <[hidden email]>
Subject:
[cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

[...]

View/Reply Online (#8772) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Nima
This is great news, way to go Eirinauts!

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Julz Friedman <[hidden email]>
Reply to:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <[hidden email]>
Subject:
[...]

View/Reply Online (#8773) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Eric Malm
Congratulations to Julz and all the past and present contributors on the Eirini team! That's great news, and it's exciting to hear about the forward progress!

Best,
Eric

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Julz Friedman <[hidden email]>
Reply to:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <[hidden email]>
Subject:
[...]

View/Reply Online (#8774) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Michael Maximilien-2
Congratulations to the whole Eirini team!

Julz and team, interested in presenting at the next CAB call next week Wednesday @ 8a Pacific time?

Perhaps an overview of 1.0, brief demo(s) of features.

Also any roadmap for next release will be interesting as well as how you all plan to sync both with CF and k8s releases?

Let me know soon. Feel free to slack if you want to discuss.

Best,

Max

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Julz Friedman <[hidden email]>
Reply to: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#8777) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Troy Topnik-2
Whenrini? Nowrini? Forrealrini?

Congratulations!

TT

--
Troy Topnik
Senior Product Manager,

View/Reply Online (#8782) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Julian Fischer via Lists.Cloudfoundry.Org
I am delighted. Congratulations!

Am 12.11.2019 um 12:45 schrieb Julz Friedman <[hidden email]>:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#8793) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic