[cf-dev] Measuring cf push times end-to-end

[cf-dev] Measuring cf push times end-to-end

Steffen Uhlig
As part of developing and improving the bits-service, we would like to better understand what the overall app push times are that developers experience.

However, "cf push" is a concept only known to the CLI. The CC and other CF components are not aware of various requests that make up a single "cf push" (e.g. resource matching, building a package, droplet). As a result, we have not been able to identify a straightforward way to measure push times from a developer's perspective.

One potential approach is to determine push time at the client side and then (after cf push has completed) have the CLI submit this data to a new endpoint in CF.

What do people think about this? Are there better ways to get these numbers? If not, would the community be open for a new "telemetry" endpoint that accepts these measurements from the cli and/or other cf components?

View/Reply Online (#7889) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Measuring cf push times end-to-end

Adam Hevenor
This is an interesting idea and related to a couple of feature ideas we (Loggregator) have been doing some research on. Ultimately you would likely want that metric to be available in Loggregator so you can sum, chart, and percentile the metric using existing metric store integrations. This is simple (and may already be present) for diego and CC related actions although it should probably have clearer tags for tracing and a better API for retrieving traces. Also, the client side metric would be valuable but there is not an established OSS Support path for getting that information into Loggregator at the moment.

View/Reply Online (#7891) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic