[cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

[cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Stephen Levine

Hi All,

Pivotal is proposing CF Dev for inclusion in the Extensions PMC as a new incubating project.

CF Dev is a deployment of BOSH and cf-deployment that runs locally in Garden containers. It uses native hypervisors to start quickly with zero external dependencies. It also provides a fully functional BOSH director.

CF Dev is currently available on Github [1].

I would also like to introduce everyone to Scott Sisil, who is joining me as Co-PM on Pivotal's local and community developer initiatives. Please reach out to Scott and/or myself for questions about CF Dev.

Details:

Project Name: CF Dev

Project Proposal: See [2], and attached.

Proposed Project Leads: Stephen Levine, Pivotal & Scott Sisil Pivotal

Proposed Contributors: Emily Casey, Pivotal; Dave Protasowski, Pivotal; Stephen Hiehn, Pivotal

Proposed Scope: See [2], and attached.

Development Operating Model: Pairing (local + remote)

Technical Approach: CF CLI plugin that starts a VM using the OS native hypervisor.

Please let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

[1] https://github.com/pivotal-cf/cfdev

[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QBTstRXN-1MmINZr1b1G5K6cM6bptQRvsafg_nyP8I8/edit#

View/Reply Online (#7768) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Proposal for Inclusion in the Extensions PMC_ CF Dev.pdf (116K) Download Attachment

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Amit Gupta
YES!!! Thank you, Steven & team!

In progress: One command to have BOSH+CF running on macOS native hypervisor

🤩

Amit

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 12:23 PM Stephen Levine <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7769) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Amit, CF OSS Release Integration PM
Pivotal Software, Inc.

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Julz Friedman
\o/

Yassss. Nice.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 at 12:34, Amit Kumar Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

View/Reply Online (#7770) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Michael Maximilien
Moving others to bcc: to avoid too many emails.

Thanks for this Stephen.

I’ll make sure to leave some feedback and would ask everyone to spend some time looking at Stephen’s proposal and leave your comments.

Finally, let’s also discuss when you want to present this at an up coming CAB call.

Have a great weekend all.

Best,

dr.max
ibm ☁
silicon valley, ca

dr.max
ibm ☁
silicon valley, ca

On Feb 23, 2018, at 12:20 PM, Stephen Levine <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7771) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Hjortshoj, Julian
Is it too late to change the name?  I suspect that folks might not instantly understand that cf-dev and CF Dev are two entirely different things.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>
Subject: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7773) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Michael Maximilien
We’ll definitely have to find better names as cf-dev is also this mailing list. Too many polymorphic usage of this one moniker. Let’s be creative!

dr.max
ibm ☁
silicon valley, ca

dr.max
ibm ☁
silicon valley, ca

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7777) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Stephen Levine
PCF Dev is already often (mistakenly) referred to as CF Dev, as `cf dev [command]` is the CLI invocation. We figured that calling this product CF Dev would give both products consistent names that make sense.

We considered the conflict with the list alias, but given that a mailing list alias and a software tool are significantly different things, and that CF Dev is already commonly used to refer to PCF Dev anyways, we decided not to change it.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7778) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

gberche
Thanks Stephen for opensourcing CF Dev through this proposal, seems great!

I wonder whether there is a public backlog for the project ? I see some commits such as [1] apparently refer to pivotal tracker story ids, but the project does not yet seem public [2].
May be the tracker refers to some design doc that I could not yet find in the source, if not this might be useful to the community.

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume.

ps: the proposal google doc permissions seem to be set to read-only and not accept comments or suggestions.

Guillaume.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7781) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Stephen Levine
Hi Guillaume,

Apologies for the google doc permissions issue -- should be fixed now :)

We don't have a public tracker or design docs yet, but we plan to have both soon.

-Stephen

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7782) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7785) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Scott Sisil
Hi All,

We wanted to give everyone a quick update on progress we have made with CF Dev:
  •  We fixed the privileged port access bug (Issue #11). Now all users should be able to login to CF Dev using the CF CLI.
  •  We received a lot of feedback on the memory / disk space footprint. The team is actively working on shrinking both of these with a goal that we can get to a memory footprint of less than 3 GB
  •  We have added telemetry to start collecting anonymous usage analytics. The raw analytics data will be available via a public Amazon S3 bucket. We also plan to publish a quarterly analytics report to the projects Github page.

Just a quick reminder that Stephen Levine will be presenting a demo of CF Dev at the Thursday keynote @ CF Summit this week.

Finally, we would appreciate any additional feedback to the project - please submit feedback in the proposal itself or respond directly to this email thread.

Thanks
Scott

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7914) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Dr Nic Williams
Wow, a 3G ram footprint would be incredible goal.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Stephen Levine <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <[hidden email]>, Chip Childers <[hidden email]>, Michael Maximilien <[hidden email]>

[...]

View/Reply Online (#7915) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Michael Maximilien-2
Hi, all,

Don’t forget to provide feedback for CF-dev. The proposing team has asked for a vote and since we have a CAB call for this Wednesday, I want to use that as the deadline.

If there are no pending comments, we will move for a vote after the call.

Thanks for your attention.

Best,

Max

--
dr.max Sent from my iPhone http://maximilien.org

View/Reply Online (#7916) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic