[cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

[cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Dieu Cao-2
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

View/Reply Online (#9059) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Dr Nic Williams
I agree.

Dr Nic
--
Dr Nic Williams
Stark & Wayne LLC

View/Reply Online (#9060) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Alex Ley-3
I support this change.

View/Reply Online (#9061) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Eric Malm-2
I'm also in support of this change and would be happy to coordinate with the App Runtime project teams to apply it across their repositories.

Best,
Eric

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Lee Porte via Lists.Cloudfoundry.Org
Hi all,

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

--
Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9064) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Shannon Coen-2
Speaking for the CF Networking team, we're supportive.

Shannon Coen (He/Him)
Manager, Product Management
[hidden email]875 Howard Street 5th Floor, San Francisco CA 94103
I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

--
Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9065) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Jesse Alford
Could we consider using `develop` (and/or, where appropriate, `release` and version-specific branches) instead?

In addition to being problematic, `master` is confusing, as it means different things in different processes.

`develop`/`release` makes it clear what branch you're supposed to push/merge to.

As an example, `cf-deployment` currently has `develop` and `master`, with `master` being effectively a release branch - all releases are ff-only merges tagged on `master` with a version number. `main` would be less clear than `release` in this case - and, I suspect, in many others.

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

--
Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9066) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Caroline Taymor-2

I agree with Jesse. Renaming from `master` is a great idea which I strongly support. `main` is similar but more inclusive, but perhaps we can take the opportunity to increase the semantic meaning of the branch names.

Caroline

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey all,

I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.

I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.

Thoughts? Feedback?

-Dieu

--

Lee Porte

Reliability Engineer

GOV.UK PaaS Team

‪020 3920 6036

07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9067) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Jan Dubois-2
I too agree with Jesse that in repos where you have `master` and `develop` branches, renaming `master` to `release` is more clear than using `main`.

For repos that have just a single trunk branch I have a slight personal preference for `latest`, as it mirrors the tag typically used to identify the latest build of a container image.

`main` also still has a connotation of being superior to the others (additional/auxiliary/supplemental/subordinate/???), which `latest` doesn't, imho.

"I've tested against the `latest` branch, and the issue is still reproducible" sounds descriptive to me.

Just using `develop` as the only branch could work too. E.g. UAA only uses `develop` and hasn't pushed to `master` since 2018, so you could just delete their `master` and nobody would notice... :)

Cheers,
-Jan

On Jun 24, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Caroline Taymor via lists.cloudfoundry.org <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#9069) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Marco Voelz

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate this effort, thanks Dieu for bringing this up! From reading this thread I get the understanding that we're now already discussing what the best name for the bfkam (branch formally known as master) would be, given each team's specific interpretation and usage of that very branch.

While I'm all for discussions to reach a reasonable consensus, this already starts to look a lot like bikeshedding to me: We're talking about personal and team preferences, tailored to specific needs and usage. Given that for years noone bothered to look at the name more closely to consider renaming it to something different than 'master', I'm hoping that we can cut this discussion short and find a quick agreement on what the new name should be. Ideally across all CFF projects, at least within a PMC.

I'm voting +1 on 'main' for now, to reach this agreement more quickly. I'd be fine if any other name makes it as well, if that matters.

Thanks and warm regards

Marco

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey all,

I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on allhttps://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.

I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.

Thoughts? Feedback?

-Dieu

--

Lee Porte

Reliability Engineer

GOV.UK PaaS Team

‪020 3920 6036

07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9071) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Troy Topnik-2
I spoke to Jan Dubois about the 'main' vs. 'release' consideration, and he found this PR:
https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/655
which indicates that the new default branch name for `git init` will be 'main' (if/when the PR is merged).

This seems to be fairly strong argument to use 'main' as the default branch name.

I'll raise this with the Extensions PMC project leads and recommend switching to 'main'.

TT

--
Troy Topnik
Senior Product Manager,

View/Reply Online (#9073) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Daniel Jones
+1 for switching to "main", and for postponing any possible further changes until after that's done.

Regards,
Daniel 'Deejay' Jones - CEO
+44 (0)79 8000 9153
EngineerBetter Ltd - More than cloud platform specialists

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 20:23, Troy Topnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
I spoke to Jan Dubois about the 'main' vs. 'release' consideration, and he found this PR:
https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/655
which indicates that the new default branch name for `git init` will be 'main' (if/when the PR is merged).

This seems to be fairly strong argument to use 'main' as the default branch name.

I'll raise this with the Extensions PMC project leads and recommend switching to 'main'.

TT

--
Troy Topnik
Senior Product Manager,
SUSE Cloud Application Platform

View/Reply Online (#9074) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Daniel Jones
Cripes - by which I meant "any future branch name changes". Not any future code changes. That'd be a bit extreme.

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 15:20, Daniel Jones via lists.cloudfoundry.org <daniel.jones=[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

View/Reply Online (#9075) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Josh Collins-2
I support this change.

Josh Collins - CF CLI PM

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

--
Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9076) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Jesse Alford
Changing branches breaks a lot of tooling, docs, and expectations.

If you're going to do it - which to be clear I think we should in this case -
it is better to move to what you'd prefer,
rather than make multiple such breaks.

I agree that `main` is a fine default and matches what Github will be migrating to.
If "default branch, plus whatever expectations you might bring with you about such a branch"
is what you want to communicate with your branch name, switch to `main`.

If "the place that active development should be pushed/merged to" and,
optionally,
"the place that deliberately released code should be pulled from"
is what you want to communicate, maybe use that pattern.

If you want to say something else with your branch names,
this is an opportunity to communicate.

Anyway. I support changes away from `master`,
but think we don't need to coordinate further on the matter.

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

--
Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9077) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Amelia Downs-2
Hi all,

I created an issue for routing-release for my team to do this work.

Please feel free to use this as a template to make stories for your own teams/repos/components.

Best,
Amelia

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

--
Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9086) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Proposal to Rename the Primary Branch on all Cloud Foundry repos

Dieu Cao-2
Hey all,

I really appreciate the support on this thread for moving away from `master` as the default branch.
It seems `main` is a popular choice as an alternative default and some projects are moving to adopt that.
It sounds like each PMC can take that as a suggestion, in addition to the other alternatives suggested on this thread, and figure out what they would like to standardize on within each PMC.
I'd like to recommend, as a way to move this forward, that each of the PMCs work towards guidance on defaults within their PMCs and each PMC work towards achieving those changes.

Thanks all,
-Dieu

I am also in support of this change after enquiring on slack.

Cheers

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Dieu Cao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
I would like to propose that the cloud foundry projects rename the primary branch on all https://github.com/cloudfoundry and https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator repos to “main” as part of Cloud Foundry’s commitment to an inclusive and welcoming community.
I believe some project teams independently have plans to invest in making this change.
Thoughts? Feedback?
-Dieu

--
Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

View/Reply Online (#9087) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic