[cf-dev] Propose removing --no-start from cf push in CLI v7

[cf-dev] Propose removing --no-start from cf push in CLI v7

Zach Robinson
Hey all,

We asked for some feedback regarding the use of the --no-start flag some time ago. As a result, we're proposing a change to push in the upcoming CLI v7.  In the linked doc we've described what the change is and why we want to make it.  We'd love to hear any feedback in comments on the doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OPJSUYXMQMtzZmVdnvwI4NiXE0xp4tuLxO3fhhXtGwI/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks,
Zach Robinson CAPI Project Lead and Abby Chau CLI Project Lead

View/Reply Online (#8307) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Propose removing --no-start from cf push in CLI v7

Dr Nic Williams
I’ve used —no-start to create an new app so I can bind services, then push to start. Is there a different way to do this without —no-start (and before you’ve started creating an optional manifest)

Nic

We asked for some feedback regarding the use of the --no-start flag some time ago. As a result, we're proposing a change to push in the upcoming CLI v7.  In the linked doc we've described what the change is and why we want to make it.  We'd love to hear any feedback in comments on the doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OPJSUYXMQMtzZmVdnvwI4NiXE0xp4tuLxO3fhhXtGwI/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks,
Zach Robinson CAPI Project Lead and Abby Chau CLI Project Lead

View/Reply Online (#8308) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Propose removing --no-start from cf push in CLI v7

Norm Abramovitz
Hi

It seems to me that you are making the developer experience more painful with your new interface   I wondering why you did not consider using parameters to cf push instead.   The first parameter would be a stop after parameter to stop after a phase.

--stop-after build|droplet|staging|start

If you want to start at a particular phase versus starting with a build, then have a parameter starting at a phase.

--start-at build|droplet|staging|start

Most developers would still use cf push as it is now and only those people that need the new features will use them.  Also, you maintain the readability of the cli interface.

Now the no-start parameter can be maintained for backward compatibility.

--
Norman Abramovitz
Technical Director

View/Reply Online (#8309) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Propose removing --no-start from cf push in CLI v7

Zach Robinson
Hi Dr Nic,

Yes this is a proposal to maintain that workflow, but with a slightly different command set. The title is bad.  Should have called it Proposal to replace --no-start.

-Zach

View/Reply Online (#8311) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Re: [cf-dev] Propose removing --no-start from cf push in CLI v7

Zach Robinson
Hi Norm,

That's an interesting possible UX. Part of this process is to gather feedback before making a change and to potentially alter the proposal to better fit everybody's needs.  Thanks for sharing this.

View/Reply Online (#8312) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic